Wednesday 11 January 2017

Mariah Carey sues South American concert promoter after she cancelled dates for non-payment

Mariah Carey is suing South American concert promoter FEG Entretenimientos for breach of contract.
The 46-year-old singer canceled shows in Argentina and Chile because they didn't pay her in full, according to a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Tuesday.
According to The Hollywood Reporter the Hero hitmaker was set to perform on October 28 in Argentina and on October 30 in Chile, but by October 25 there was still an unpaid balance for both of the shows and Mariah canceled.
Mirage Entertainment claim that the delayed payments gave Mariah the right to cancel and be paid in full.
However, FEG is accusing the singer of damaging their brand by failing to perform.
Mariah's attorney Bryan Freedman wrote in the complaint: 'In the music industry everyone knows the familiar story of the deceitful promoter that promises to pay and fails to deliver,
'This lawsuit is filed in part not only to confirm the multiple breaches of the contracts by FEG ... but to warn the artistic community not to trust any promises from FEG.'
FEG reportedly agreed to a guaranteed fee for Mariah's performance and was required to pay that fee in a series of scheduled payments.
Mariah's attorney also argues that she shouldn't have been expected to undertake the expenses of traveling her team and equipment on the faith that the payments would be made.
They are also claiming the pop diva missed out on other projects because of the later-canceled shows.
Meanwhile Mariah declared she'd be taking a break from 'media moments' following her disastrous televised New Year's Eve performance.
'I'm gonna take a break from media moments, social media moments,' she announced in an audio clip posted on Twitter.
Although I am going to fulfil my professional obligations, this is an important time for me to finally take a moment for myself and to deal with my loved ones and to prepare for my upcoming tour in March… I can’t wait to sing for you again.'
She then slammed her production team for the technical issues.
She said: 'Listen guys, they foiled me. Thus, it turned into an opportunity to humiliate me and all those who were excited to ring in the new year with me. I cannot deny that my feelings are hurt, but I’m working through this and I’m truly grateful for my fans and my true friends who have been so supportive in this time.'
However, the production company has since hit back, telling People in a statement:
'To suggest that [Dick Clark Productions] … would ever intentionally compromise the success of any artist is defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd.'

No comments:

Post a Comment